How to write a formal letter? What is its format and many more? These are the most asked question by the students who are going to appear for the board exams especially. So, guys do not worry we are for discussing with you the entire format to write a formal letter in detail. There are different types of letters asked during examinations. So, here through this article, you will come across the format of a formal letter for school, a format for a formal letter for principal and CBSE format for a formal letter. So, if you are in seek for the same then scroll the page down and start exploring the content below.
Format To Write A Formal Letter- CBSE
A formal letter is described as a letter written in a formal way. You can differentiate the formal letter with the informal one by the way of expressing the things. The format to write a formal letter is fixed which is followed by each and every appeared student. Here you will come across the basic format for writing the letter formally which is followed by CBSE too. So. let’s have a look at the content mentioned below.
Steps To Write A Formal Letter- Check It Out Here
For a student. writing a letter during the examination is the most challenging task. Some are confused with the format while some are confused with the body of the letter. So, to bring out from the confusion here we are with a format to write a formal letter.
You can refer to the steps provided below in order to write a letter without any mistake. So, have a look at the steps below.
- Your Address- From the left most side you have to write your current address.
- Date- Then you have to enter the date on which you are writing your letter.
- Sender’s Address- After this, you have to write the address of a sender.
- Salutation- After this, you have to write respected sir or mam.
- Subject- Here you have to mention the title of writing the letter.
- Body- Here you have to write the main body of the letter where you have to mention the main reason for writing the letter.
- Ending of Letter- By the end of a letter you have to write yours faithfully or yours sincerely followed by your name and the designation.
This is the basic format which needs to be followed by each and every student.
- Also, check out the marks distribution of the entire paper by CBSE Click Here
Format for Formal Letter for School
During Examination, students received the letter writing of maximum 10- 15 marks. So, while receiving the question you have to first understand the type of letter whether it is formal or informal. The informal letter can be distinguished on the basis of the reason to write a letter. If there is an official reason or you have to write a letter to the official ones then it is the informal letter.
Now, here, we are going to discuss with you the format of writing the formal letter for school purpose. Let’s check it out.
Question: Suppose you are head boy/ head girl of your school and on the occasion of the Independence day there is a speech competition house-wise. The competition will be held on August 15, 2018, in the school auditorium. The topic for the speech is ‘India’s Journey from 1947 to 2018’. The finalize list must be submitted to you within the 2 days. DM is coming as a chief guest. So, you have to write a letter to all the volunteers informing them for the same and ask them to select one boy and one girl from each house.
5th Aug’ 2018
St. Francis Convent Sr. Sec. School
Subject: House- Wise Speech Competition on August 15′ 2018
This is to inform the captain and vice-captain of all the houses that on the day of our 72nd Independence we are going to organize a speech competition house-wise. The topic for the speech is India’s Journey from 1947 to 2018. So, the team start your work and listed out one boy and one girl from each house. The list of the final participants must finalize within 2 days. The competition will be held on August 15. The DM will be our chief guest. To submit the list of the participants you may contact the undersigned.
- In the above mentioned example, please note that the word limit must not exceed the maximum of 120 to 150 words.
- All the points given in the question must cover in your letter.
- The format of the letter remains the same irrespective the body. So, refer to the format and practice similar types of questions.
- In the end, take care of the undersigned. If nothing mentioned then you can write your name with the mentioned designation or you can also mention ‘XYZ’.
Format For Formal Letter For Principal
Format to write a formal letter to the principal is being discussed in the following section. So, have a look at the content mentioned below. If you are in seek of how you can write a letter to your principal, its format and many more then have a look at the content below.
Question: As a head boy for your school you have to write a letter to your principal informing about the problems faced while keeping the surroundings clean. At the same time request your principal to issue the notice for the same and take the strict actions against the rule breakers.
10 Aug’ 2018
St. Francis Convent Sr. Sec. School
Respected Sir/ Mam,
Subject: Problems Faced while Keeping Surrounding Clean.
Through this letter, I want to throw the light on the matter of keeping the surroundings clean. From the past few days, it is being noticed that many students are not following the rules. After the lunch break, most of the waste is found in front of the classes or the corridors. The condition is becoming worse day by day. So, keeping in mind all this, it is requested you to please issue a notice regarding this and if any rule breaker found then he/ she will be charged with the fine of Rs. 200.
For this, you can refer the above-mentioned tips and start practicing similar types of questions in order to understand well.
Books To Practice
Here we have given some names of the books. You can refer them also and practice more and more questions.
- High School English Grammar and Composition- By Wren and Martin
- BBC Compacta English
- Arihant English Grammar and Composition
- Previous year Question Papers
All The Best For Your Exams!
To get fastest exam alerts and government job alerts in India, join our Telegram channel.